Dreaming about someone you like is very common in life. Dreams can run the gamut from delightful to nightmarish, but when it comes to romantic dreams, what do they mean. If you dream about someone, does that mean you’re meant to be with them, or is it wishful thinking? If the dream is terrible, like dreaming of someone hurting you, is that a warning sign.
According to psychology, recurring dreams about the same person shouldn’t be taken too literally, whether they are your best friend or a sworn enemy. Having recurring dreams about someone for some time is a common phenomenon.
These dreams might not mean that you are obsessed with this individual. It might symbolize some particular trait that this person has and that you may want to have in your relationships or avoid dreaming with someone you dislike.
So ask yourself what this person has that you admire the most or not. How could you benefit right now in your working life from having or avoiding that particular personality trait? Your subconscious uses this person’s imagery to tell you what it wants, but you decide about this unconscious message.
In this article, I will break down some examples of what dreaming about someone means and tell you when you need to realize that your dream probably means nothing.
Why do you keep dreaming about the like person?
What does it mean when you dream about someone you like? Sometimes dreams are romantic, sometimes sexual, and sometimes they’re fun. You’re doing fun things with that other person. But what we all tend to do is as soon as we wake up, we start thinking about that person even more.
We try to ask ourselves, what did that dream mean? Does it mean I should be with that person? Does it mean I should talk to them? What exactly is my brain trying to tell me? The honest answer is no one knows. But you should still talk to your crush and ask them out, and here’s why.
See if you can make that happen. It might sound a little jarring, but your brain is trying to tell you that you want to form a deeper connection with this person, so don’t argue with your brain. Just go for it.
What do you think, though? Have you ever had a dream about your crush before? What did you make of that whole experience? Leave your comments below, and we’ll talk about them.
Usually, your dreams are tied to the different types of experiences you’re going through. Your brain manifests these images based on the things you’re experiencing. For example, if you had a dream where you’re underwater and trying to get to the top to get some air, it might be because you’re too stressed out, and your brain is creating that image to show it.
Explanation of dreaming about someone you like
What you see in the dream might not be a literal representation of what you’re going through but more a symbolic one. That’s important to remember when we talk about dreams about your crushes.
When another person pops into your dreams, it’s usually because you’ve been thinking about them in some capacity.
1. Dreaming about crush
When you dream about someone, are they thinking of you? You might see a person in your dream because you are genuinely or very concerned about the person. So you might end up seeing this person in your dream.
This is a prevalent example that happens to so many of us. For example, dreaming about talking to your crush that you never talk to in real life. All of a sudden, you wake up, and you find yourself hugging the pillow.
In such a case, your mind used something you wanted in your dream. Satisfying some of your unmet needs while you are sleeping is something that often happens with dreams.
For example, many of the dreams we see while we are asleep are usually representations of things we wanted in real life, which we truly desired. So we saw it in our dream even though we never had this thing in real life.
2. Breaking up a relationship
Being cheated on a dream represents your insecurities in your relationship and a fear of abandonment. You may feel like you’re not getting enough attention from your partner. It may also be a result of self-esteem issues.
- Breaking up with someone is a little complicated. It could mean there’s something in your life you need to let go of. It doesn’t necessarily mean a bad thing, though. It could mean you’re ready to move on to the next level in your relationship. Sometimes the fear of loss creates this type of dream.
- Getting dark dreams of abandonment, in general, signifies that it’s time to let go of past attachments and states of mind that no longer serve you. you may have a fear of being abandoned that stems from childhood trauma. Also, the dream means that your needs aren’t being met.
3. Dreaming about your ex
The most common meaning is that something in your life reminds you of feelings. You had during the time you were with your ex. These can be positive or negative. If negative, it may be a warning sign that your current relationship shows the same harmful patterns as your old relationship.
- You’ve been thinking about your ex a lot and interacting with them. Whether looking at them or even talking to them because that person is frequently on your mind, your brain will whip up a dream with them.
There are two different scenarios when you have dreams of your ex:
i) One might be when you’ve broken up, divorced, or separated from your ex.
ii) The second is when you’ve had more time between the breakup or separation. They mysteriously come into your dreams for some reason that doesn’t make sense.
4. Dreams about kissing
This dream reveals that your mind is healthy and happy because you’re only likely to have these dreams. When you are relaxed in terms of relationships, this can also mean that you are reminiscing past relationships. This type of dream involves our hidden desire that we can’t understand or want to do.
There are two different scenarios when you have dreams about kissing:
i) You are kissing your loved or known person. It means that you trust them and want to hang out with them. If you kiss your love, then it’s all about your emotional connection. Kissing your friend or close person can be an attraction or a falling love signal.
ii) You are kissing an unknown person in your dreams! It means that your physical need or seeing some romantic scene or movie creates a desire in your mind. The hormonal (Dopamine/Oxytocin) flow your brain wants to feel practical.
5. Being in love
They may also manifest in your dreams if you love them in the real world. Most of the time, you see that you hide and feel shy toward your love.
You want to talk with them, but you can’t do it. You feel insecure and fear loss. Sometimes this can be romantic, like you give a kiss or express your love.
- If your love is laughing at you in the dream, it means you have a fear of talking or low confidence.
- If your love is feeling shy in your dream, then it means that you are confident and ready to propose or date.
- Getting engaged in dreams is quite literal and signifies your excitement about marriage.
6. Triangle love dreams
Numerate double-dating one interpretation is that they represent your duality two sides of your personality. The side you show the world and your true self. Another interpretation is your desire to socialize. Being in a love triangle reveals a lot about your state of mind and your current relationship.
- If you dream that you and another person love the same person, this could reveal insecurity and jealousy.
- If you dream about being in love with two people, it could mean a lack of commitment on your part. Alternatively, the three people in your dream could represent three versions of yourself experiencing internal conflict.
7. Dream of lust
These dreams are relatively common and reveal your current state of mind. Dreams of lust may mean something in your life that isn’t satisfying or that you lack self-control in certain areas of your life.
- A wet dream with your love means you are expecting sex and intimacy. This is a very common dream in relationships because your brain is jam-packed with your love memories and wants to release them through a physical way to relax.
- Engaging, dating or marrying may be a sign of your mind. It depends on different situations and feelings. If your dream about a wedding of commitment, definitely love genuinely and want to keep this relationship long.
8. Hooking up with someone
If you dream about hooking up with someone, it can mean you want to or have a hidden desire. Honestly, most of the time, believe it or not, it’s not even about sex.
- Dreaming about having sex with someone or hooking up with someone, whether a crush or someone at work, typically means deeper that there’s something you believe. You can get from them, and it’s something emotional you’re craving, like in real life.
You will feel the law of attraction by creating those emotions in your life. Be real with yourself. Your body might be trying to help you get some by throwing in a little sexy dream.
- It’s less about the person in the dream and more about the fact that your body says you need to get some asap. Our dreams are filled with so much information, and so much can affect them if you watch tv late at night, for instance.
You may dream of similar things in the show that night or shortly afterward. That’s why it’s super important not to take a dream literally but to look at all the factors that might have influenced your dream state, which brings me to dream.
9. Dream about marrying
If you dream about marrying someone you’re dating, or you’ve met, does that necessarily mean you’re supposed to be with them or that you’re going to get married to them?
It is a sign from the universe that you will be married. See it as a prophecy of marriage in your life rather than necessarily being about that person that takes the pressure off. You can then feel into your intuition to see if the dream is not only prophesizing a marriage in your future. It’s how you feel when you wake up from a dream.
- Suppose you feel this calm sensation of knowing almost even before your mind fully wakes up and starts analyzing. In that case, that’s a good indication that your dream is intuitively revealing a real possibility for your future.
- If you didn’t have that calm, peaceful knowing and immediately launched into a mental analysis of what it means, maybe you don’t want it to happen.
10. Dreams about losing someone you like
Most of the time, dreams are mostly about processing emotions. It’s our brain’s way of letting things out and working through all the complicated feelings and thoughts we consciously and unconsciously in a day.
So if you dream of someone losing or hurting you, that means they’re going to do it, Or they already are. Most important in analyzing this dream is to pay attention to how you feel immediately upon waking up.
- A dream of someone leaving indicates that some part of you doesn’t feel safe in the relationship. You might have underlying fears that love will never work out for you, and it’s playing out in your dreams.
- You have wounds to heal from your past or childhood that can make you feel like no one can be trusted or there for you. So again, the most important thing is always to use dreams to heal your emotional world.
The solution to bad dreams about your relationship: You can program your dream before going to sleep and telling yourself. Mainly this works when you’ve had a disturbing dream or you’re angry or upset.
Please go into the next night’s sleep and say I don’t want to dream of my ex or crush. Say it ten times and sleep. If you see the dream again, ignore it and don’t tell anyone or recall it. When you try to avoid it and show less priority, your brain will take it unnecessarily. You will discover that you are free from these unwanted dreams.
Dreams reveal something that a part of you wishes might happen or thinks is supposed to happen. When it comes to dreaming about someone, what’s most important in deciphering what the dream means isn’t necessarily its contents.
Typically your underlying emotions reveal way more to you than the picture you see in the dream. The dream was a way for your subconscious mind to process what’s going on and reveal the emotional information you need to know.
A dream has more to do with you than with the other person most of the time. Take this dream as an opportunity to look within and ask yourself- Do I have any underlying fears about being hurt in a relationship that will come out. Please contact me and share them with your friends if you have any questions.
What Does Dopamine Do For The Brain?
Is Mind Reading Scientifically Possible?
“Dream.” The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition.
“Brain Basics: Understanding Sleep.” National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.
Lee Ann Obringer. How Dream Works.
Krippner, Stanley; Bogzaran, Fariba; Carvalho, Extraordinary Dreams and How To Work with Them. Albany, NY: State University of New York Press.
Freud, Sigmund. James Strachey (ed.). The Interpretation of Dreams. Translated by James Strachey. New York: Avon.
Table of Contents
What are the 10 most common dreams? ›
- Teeth falling out.
- Being chased.
- Unable to find a toilet.
- Being naked.
- Failing exams.
- Crashing a car.
Short answer: It probably means that something to do with said crush is top of mind. "We tend to dream about what is on our mind the most," says certified dream analyst Lauri Loewenberg. "Dreaming of your crush is absolutely normal and is often the way the subconscious mind explores the possibilities."What are the 9 types of dreams? ›
- Daydreams. The main difference between a daydream and all other types of dreams is that you're awake during a daydream. ...
- Recurring dreams. Recurring dreams are dreams that repeat more than once. ...
- False awakenings. ...
- Healing dreams. ...
- Prophetic dreams. ...
- Vivid dreams.
The good news is that dreaming about a crush represents doors of possibility opening up in your life, says Arzt. “You may be excited about the idea of being with your crush, but it can also mean you're excited about anything else that lies ahead,” she says. “Dreams can shed insight into your desires.What are the 7 most common dreams? ›
- 7 Most Common Dreams. Researchers have found that the seven most common dreams involve being attacked or chased, being late, loved ones dying, falling, flying, school, and sex. ...
- 9 Common Dreams and Their Interpretations.
Most experts believe that lucid dreams are the rarest type of dreams. While dreaming, you are conscious that you are dreaming but you keep on dreaming. According to researchers, 55 percent of people experience these types of dreams at least one time in their life.What dream means your crush likes you? ›
If you are dreaming that your crush has proposed to you or likes you back, then it signifies your personality traits of being confident. You may be sure and optimistic that things will work out between you both. So, if you've had this dream, gear up and get ready to tell the love of your dreams.How do I know if my crush likes me? ›
- They Look At You. ...
- They Are Interested To Know About You. ...
- They Ask About Your Status. ...
- They Are Nervous Around You. ...
- They Make Extra Effort To Talk To You. ...
- They Find Excuses To Surprise You With Lovely Gifts. ...
- They Always Look For Excuses To Spend Time With You.
Dreaming about someone might represent a relationship with them in your life. The person might also be an aspect of yourself that you are struggling to understand or have not dealt with. What is this? Dreams can help us understand ourselves better as they often reflect parts of our personality we are unaware of.What type of dreams feel real? ›
Lucid dreams are when you know that you're dreaming while you're asleep. You're aware that the events flashing through your brain aren't really happening. But the dream feels vivid and real. You may even be able to control how the action unfolds, as if you're directing a movie in your sleep.
What your dreams are telling you? ›
Scientists and psychologists, old and new, tell us that dreams reveal critical aspects about ourselves. Dreams are a reflection of your recent state of mind, future possibilities, and changes that you have experienced.Should I tell my crush I had a dream about him? ›
If you and your crush have a friendly bond and you have a secret crush on him, then you can share with him about your dreams. But if you have not talked to your crush ever, then it's better to not tell him. Telling him that you dream about him is just like confessing your liking to him.How to make your crush like you? ›
- Put yourself out there. ...
- Make subtle gestures. ...
- Spend time with them — but don't go overboard. ...
- Listen. ...
- Find out what your crush is passionate about. ...
- Make eye contact. ...
- Don't play mind games. ...
- Be yourself.
Dreaming of hugging and kissing another person can indicate the deep connection you share with them in real life. It can also show the need to integrate this person's qualities into your personality. Think about what characteristics the person in your dream represents that you may need to nurture for yourself.Can dreams have meanings? ›
Domhoff also emphasized that while dreams can have meaning, his research suggests they aren't symbolic. During sleep, people don't appear to be able to access the parts of the brain involved with understanding or generating metaphors, he said.What are 100 most common dreams? ›
- Floating or flying. ...
- Losing your teeth. ...
- Naked in public. ...
- Being chased. ...
- Falling. ...
- Finding an unused room. ...
- Water. ...
- Driving an out of control vehicle.
Most people dream about their life experiences and concerns, and most dreams incorporate sights, sounds, and emotions, along with other sensory experiences like smells and tastes.What is the darkest dream? ›
The Darkest Dream begins the epic tale of a group of Hanataz youth who are charged with working security for the last Carnivalle of the season. The Hanataz are the Traveling Folk of the world of Zyathé and are an ostracized people due to the many Blood-Touched membevrs of their troupes.Can dreams reveal hidden truths? ›
"People tend to think that dreams reveal hidden emotions and beliefs and they often find them to be more meaningful than thoughts they might have when they are awake," Morewedge tells WebMD. "But we also found that people don't attribute equal meaning to all dreams."Are happy dreams rare? ›
Most (65%) said they usually have good dreams. The numbers were even higher for people who say they get enough sleep. Almost three-quarters of those satisfied sleepers said their dreams were generally good.
When you dream about someone are they thinking of you? ›
While dreaming about someone usually means they are thinking of you, dreaming of the same person over and over again could also mean that they have thought of you so much that when you dream about them, it's just another instance where that thought enters your head.What does crush mean in love? ›
1. [count] a : a strong feeling of romantic love for someone that is usually not expressed and does not last a long time. ◊ The person who has a crush is usually young or is behaving or feeling like a young person.What does it mean if I kissed my crush in a dream? ›
And when we dream of kissing, the kiss shows us the desire for love and affection. When you dream about your crush kissing you, it also indicates that you may be lacking affection or reciprocated love in the waking world.How do you know if someone likes you secretly without talking? ›
- Mutual Eye Contact. People look at people they like and avoid looking at people they don't like. ...
- A Light Touch. People often touch the person they like. ...
- Inward Leaning. ...
- Mirroring. ...
- Observe their body language.
- They pay attention to you.
- Eye contact.
- They make time for you.
- They quickly apologize when they offend you.
- They don't say much.
- They are afraid.
Generally, dreams are symbolic of your deep emotions and energies. Dreaming about someone frequently means that they're constantly in our thoughts and you share a connection. They could be an old flame, a relative, or a deceased loved one.Why do I dream about someone so much? ›
Dreaming can help our brains sort through information while we sleep. Dr Mayer also said that dreaming about someone over and over again shouldn't be interpreted in a literal way. That person might actually be symbolising certain stress or anxiety we are going through.What happen when you keep dreaming about someone? ›
If you find yourself dreaming about the same person night after night, it could signify that you have unresolved feelings for them. The recurring dream may be a way for your subconscious to process and work through these feelings.Why do dreams feel so real? ›
During non-REM sleep, the thalamus is inactive, but during REM sleep, when we are dreaming, the thalamus is active, sending the cerebral cortex images, sounds, and sensations, which is why we are able to hear, feel, and see in our dreams similarly to how we do when we are awake.What are some good dreams? ›
- Host dinner parties. ...
- Steward a Little Free Library.
- Take art classes.
- Go away for a girls' weekend.
- Get really familiar with our local parks system. ...
- Learn to use chopsticks. ...
- Plant a garden bursting with tulips.
- And a garden bed spilling over with zinnias.
What does it mean if you remember your dream when you wake up? ›
This may mean that some people are naturally more likely to recall their dreams than others, despite their quality of sleep. Other factors, like stress or experiencing a trauma, can also cause people to have vivid dreams or nightmares that they're more likely to recall the next day.What happens when you wake up crying from a dream? ›
Waking up Crying From a Dream
The sensations you feel while sleeping and the emotions you experience before bed may cause you to wake up crying. If you wake up crying from a bad dream, that is your body's response to the weight of the suppressed emotion.
Experiencing recurring dreams may point at underlying issues regardless of the dream's content. Adults who experience frequent recurring dreams tend to have worse psychological health than those who do not, and many experts theorize that these dreams may be a way to work through unmet needs or process trauma.Can dreams predict your future? ›
At this time there is little scientific evidence suggesting that dreams can predict the future. Some research suggests that certain types of dreams may help predict the onset of illness or mental decline in the dream, however.Can you control your dreams? ›
Lucid dreaming happens when you're aware that you're dreaming. Often, you can control the dream's storyline and environment. It occurs during REM sleep. When used in therapy, lucid dreaming can help treat conditions like recurring nightmares and PTSD.Do you talk in your dreams? ›
When we sleep, the entire language area of the brain is less active, making reading, writing, and even speaking very rare in dreams.Had a dream that my crush rejected me? ›
Dreaming Your Crush Rejects You
If you dream about your crush rejecting you this is actually known to bring you luck in real life. This could be the sign you need to spend more time with them or share your feelings.
Fortunately, there is a pretty solid answer to this question. Infatuation is a product of neurochemistry. The emotional tumult of an intense crush comes from the combination of dopamine-driven reward, noradrenaline-driven arousal, and hormonally-driven bonding.How to make my crush jealous? ›
- Look drop-dead gorgeous whenever he's present. ...
- Let him see you're a good time. ...
- Don't be so available. ...
- Make sure he knows you have guy friends. ...
- Be flirty. ...
- Keep things short and sweet. ...
- Don't make a move until you're sure he likes you back.
You can interpret your dreams by learning more about common symbols, keeping a dream diary, and trying to identify personal associations. Dream analysis may be better achieved by working with a psychotherapist.